Logo

alpha 1 shift question really need some help

when threading the lower cable sheath into the bell housing does it thread all the way up to the bell housing or do you keep ot off the bell housong 1/16 of an inch?

i cant seem to find manual #6... is there a reason to the 1/16 or 2 threads? a marine mechanic i know up in the adirondack region said he threads them completely in, i almost feel like if it was threaded all the way in my set up may then engage reverse.. although nothing is ever that easy, unfortunately

Update

Issue resolved

He had purchased two spare lower units and both seem to have worn shift spools. He re-installed original lower unit, used current shift cable which he did NOT remove yet and re-adjusted the shift cable per instructions and he had success.

The shift cable he had and kept installed was only a few years old and was of current design with the Black Teflon wrap on the inner cable core.

Both of his replacement lowers were MR drives and most likely have bronze shift spools and are worn or the Bronze shift arms sitting on top of lower shift shaft are twisted. Most likely the shift spools.

The original Lower is a true Alpha lower and most likely has the steel shift spool. In full forward the bronze shift arm is exactly at 12:00.

The other two MR drives the bronze shift arms were at 12:30+

so the drive is back on the boat, i now get forward and reverse, at the 10 and 2 detents on the control box throttle arm, however one thing that is different i notcied is that the outdrive wont trim in fully by an inch or 2. it goes all the out (up) no problem and goes all the way in (down) no problem but stops about an inch to 2 inches before it is fully trimmed in. is there a set procedure on the reverse lock out valve? as i think this is my problem, thanks to all -joe

If it goes all the way down your good, all the way up in trailer mode is good. If you mean the trim up/out stops too soon ,that adjustable. From fully down to the upper trim limit stop is 20 3/4 of an inch (I think)

going up with the trim is good, it will trim all the way up to the swim platform. now when i trim back down, it will go almost all the way down, however i can tell by the ammount of rod still pertruding from the trim cylinder that it should go down another inch or two.

with the trim rams disconnect from the outdrive the drive will lower the rest of the way, and before i stated messing with all of this the trim rams would retract that last 1-2 inches... i did take the lever off the reverse lock out valve when messing with the shifting so that i could extend the slot in the shift bracket for the lower cable, this is why i think maybe the reverse lock out may be adjusted incorrectly?

A reverse lock out valve on the shift bracket is there to keep the drive from free wheeling upwards when in reverse. It should not be restricting the downward movement.

Did you try to stand on drive to see if it will go all the way down?

Can you post a picture of this reverse lock out you are referring to?

What type of trim pump do you have? A photo of that also would help.

When your boat was upgraded to the Alpha one Gen 1 they should have installed a current trim pump with the plastic reservoir.

If you are using actual Alpha One Gen 1 trim rams you should upgrade to the newest trim pump and do away with the reverse lock out junk all together.
The current trim pump has the reverse lockout built into the pump valving

The pump you should be using is this one

41lz2WLeDSL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Last edited:
thank you for your replies, i understand how the lock out works, i am just not sure why the rams arent fully retracting, although its only an inch or two, i only think it has to do with the reverse lock out because i took the arm off, i put it back where i thought it orignally was but naybe i am off some, the arm does have a slot adjustment that can be made on it. my boat currently still has the old style pump on it, i do have a newer style pump in my garage i can use... i will send pics of my current pump, the reverse lock out valve when i get out of work today 330pm

ok here are some pics of the reverse lock out valve, and the trim pump... the reverse lock out seems to be working as the trim goes up and down in forward and neutral, but in reverse it does not. i also measured how much the trims arent retracting by and it is only 1 inch

my apologies, i dont know why my pics dont post... anyways, i launched the boat tonight, she went into and out of forward and reverse better then the boat EVER has! i couldnt believe the smoothness of the shifts, no clunking, no chattering, no grinding, just awesome engagement and disengagement! i cant thank you guys enough, once again you guys helped me accomplish something i couldnt even make sense of when i started. if anyone is ever in the rye, portchester, greenwich, stamford area id be glad to take you on a long island sound ride :cool:

Back