Logo

1st Launch of '05 175 Evinrudes

ajv00303

Regular Contributor
Launched the boat today with some disappointing results.......

Launched boat, started engines w/ no problems, idled @ 650RPM after warm-up.
Backed away from the ramp and was impressed with how well the engines idled and spun the boat when the engines were shifted in opposite directions.
After underway in a no wake zone @ ~ 1000 RPM the port engine started to fluctuate in RPM (1000-1500RPM), seemed to smoke a bit also, thought because it was the 1st run w/ a load?
After exiting the no wake zone, I attempted to throttle up, and the port engine would not go above ~2500RPM, seemed like it wanted to but couldn't.
No lights/horns or anything.
Got to the slip, set the lines and left.
Was just thinking maybe I could have tried pumping the bulb?

Looking for some suggestions........hoping it's something stupid.
Tha stb engine seemed to run great!

I did think of that, haven't checked anything yet.
Trying to make a list for tomorrow....
Guessing I can check that w/o the engine running?

Did some troubleshooting today, see attached for print-out from EV Diagnostics
I checked the fuel pressure out of the lift pump before the fuel filter, see video, this was at idle and w/ engine in fwd while tied to the dock @~ 1200RPM.
Video doesn't really depict the issue too well, and fuel pressure was pretty steady @ ~8lbs at idle.
Also disconnected the shift switch w/ no change in performance
Also checked TPS Voltage on both engine w/ key on/engine off at idle and WOT.

What else can I check?

Attachments

• 5.13.22.pdf
    858.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Did some more testing today.
Ran the static and dynamic tests for the ignition and injectors, results seem to be as expected.
Next test will be to monitor the lift fuel pump pressure when the problem exists. Question, what should I expect as far as pressure is concerned ~2500RPM, at that point I expect the RPM's to be fluctuating.
Could not do it today due to FOG!

Low pressure pump was steady @~7ps @ 2000-2500RPM while the engine was sputtering.
How can I check the high-pressure pump if it doesn't have the Schrader valve/?

Back