Logo

1986 Evinrude 6HP leaking water/exhaust

Edchris177

Regular Contributor
I picked up a 1986 Evinrude 6HP - CE6RCDE for very little money. It starts first pull.
Compression is a bit low, (95 psi both jugs), might be my gauge, as it seems to develop decent power.
With a marine GPS, on flat water, 25C day, mounted on a Tracker 14’ Jon boat, myself & 5 gal of gas, it held a steady 17.5 mph, occasionally getting to 18.
it seems fairly clean, none of the original decals & stickers are missing.
Only issue I see is an exhaust leak, seems to come from right around the shift lever. It also dribbles water from the same area. Nothing is getting inside the lower cowl, so the leak is below that point.
It is more pronounced at low/medium power settings. Seems to disappear once in the step,(with engine higher in water less back pressure), but that might be just because it’s hard to run full throttle & peak closely over the side.
I understand, from Leroy’s Ramblings, that it’s not a through hub exhaust, & that at low power settings exhaust does come out from the round tube down near the cavitation plate, my 8hp does that too.
The guy I bought it from said, “I can fix anything, but I can’t fix this”. He said he removed the powerhead & resealed where it meets the cowling, believable, as I can see new sealant. He sold it very cheaply because he didn’t like the exhaust leak, & couldn’t fix it.
is this of great concern? Anyone seen this, have ideas as to what would cure it?

I have a short video, but can’t figure out how to load it. Site says it’s compressing it, but I can’t see where it is stored, or any way to link it.I’ll try the YouTube thing.
PS yeah, I know it’s idling rough, I forgot to push the primer knob back in after I started it…standing in the lake, holding an iPad.

Last edited:
Back