Logo

some battles are hard fought (my 1988 20/30hp)

bigtime_mcalpine

Regular Contributor
Oh boy, all I can say is that it's a good thing there was beer in the house last night. Fishing trip happening this weekend. Motor has been sitting in the drive since last fall. I had all the time in the world to make sure it ran fine. With a week to go I finally decide to take it for a test run. It fails my tests.

1) won't go fast
2) occasional backfires
3) regular hard starts
4) shuts off if throttle is turned all the way to idle

• Finally figure out that one coil is defective so I replace both of those (that explains the inability to maintain low idle AND lack of speed)
  • Figure out that the idle needle is worn so replaced that (figured that might explain backfires but wasn't convinced)
  • No amount of carb cleaning or needle adjustments were helping me fix my backfires so I caved and got a carb kit thinking I'm in the home stretch.
  • Side-note: I'm really not a fan of the configuration where one needs to remove the e-starter EVERYTIME the carb needs to be removed
  • Get 'er going after putting it all together and she purrs for about 20s. I didn't see any water coming out yet so I chickened out and turned it off.
  • Then she just won't start, I mean, AT ALL. The occasional backfire but that's it.
  • I took a few deep breaths and though, well, f it. I'm pulling the intake off to look at the reeds. Of course I tear the gasket a bit while doing that (nice). Reeds looked fine - two fins seemed to let in a hair of sunlight so I just flipped the reed over and used the other side. Perfect.
  • Put it all back together and it still won't start, nothing. Again just minor backfires but no ignition
  • Stepped back, cursed, decided it's time to start all the troubleshooting over.
  • Spark, check. Compression, check. Fuel - pump is plugging away. Timing....
  • So I pop off the flywheel to make sure nothing has been ripped off and go figure, flywheel shear pin is obliterated. That's when the beer was opened.
  • Pulled one from another motor and the thing FINALLY came to life. Oh, but then I see this little Phillips machine screw. Guess where this goes: on the reed assembly. Awesome.

All good. Still haven't quite recovered from all that frustration but boy that beer tasted fine.

Back