Logo

2016 Mercury 150hp XL wont stop...

MwrEngineRepair

So I am starting up my spring maintenance and I have two identical boats and engines. they are both 150HP Mercury outboards 2016 2B376587. I have just finished all my maintenance and started the engines but found that I can not stop the engines by normal means (both engines are doing this). The throttle is in Neutral and idle. I take the ignition key out (still running), remove battery disconnect key (still running), remove negative lead from battery( still running). I have to remove the Fuel fuse to finally get it stopped. what should I be looking for on both engines.

ADI ignition doesn't need power from the battery and disconnecting the neg. lead while running could have damaged the rec/reg, you'll have to check this; you need a wiring diagram to find out which is the kill wire and what it does.

Mercury customer support supplied a diagram but the issue is that it only shows the kill Black/Yellow cable runs through the entire harness from beginning to ECM. no breaks.
Where would I start looking for a missing ground on the key switch harness? I have already checked over the key switch and emergency kill switch by throttle. I see no loose or damaged wires. All wires on engine look to be perfect. I just dont know why two different boats would do this at the same time. could there have been a sensor for telling the computer to shut down the engine that could have just faulted out during the off season?

Back