Logo

97 Evinrude 115 HP exhaust gasket replacement

ML_MCM

I have water squirting out of the exhaust gasket and even though it did it last year and I have a strong stream coming out of the tell tale, I don't want to risk overheating.

Wondering if I can replace the powerhead/exhaust gasket without disconnecting all the gas/oil/elec connections? Can I lift the powerhead enough to get a new gasket installed? Thanks

You can try lifting the powerhead with everything connected.------Yes those batwing gearcases.----Not as robust as earlier models.----Use the best gear oil you can find in that lower unit.

-Use the best gear oil you can find in that lower unit.[/QUOTE said:
Any recommendations? I'm on my second lower unit (that I know of). A previous owner hit something so hard that the prop shaft twisted 1/4" and had a slight wobble. Metal shavings on both vent and drain plugs so I figured I'd replace the whole thing instead of trying to replace just the prop shaft and seals. I did use if for one season like that with no issues but didn't want to press my luck

You can try lifting the powerhead with everything connected.------Yes those batwing gearcases.----Not as robust as earlier models.----Use the best gear oil you can find in that lower unit.

Successful replacement of the gasket. Was able to lift powerhead 10" or so without having to disconnect anything and that gave plenty of room to clean off the old gasket. Finally ready to put in the water.

Back