Logo

1995 48 hp carb issue

Mrcool

I’m new to the forum and needing some info from you guys. My 48 special will dribble fuel from both carburetor throats and then make it down the inside of the cowlings and out the lower foot. I had rebuilt the carbs using aftermarket kits. Someone told me that the small round gasket that is inside the bowl for the emulsion tube is probably not right being it’s an aftermarket. I had checked the float levels and didn’t know what else to check. Advice anyone? Also the service manual calls for the air mixture screw should be adjusted at 3turns out. Mine will only run 1 1/2 turns out. Does this relate to the fuel issue?

Last edited:
I bought the engine back in November and have no idea how it ran last. It does have good compression at 140 psi on both cylinders. I have also replaced the reed valves.

I have already ordered OMC kits with floats and they should be here at the end of the week. How critical is the measurement with the float all the way down. It seems like it would rest on the bottom of the bowl if I go by the manual

Ok. I installed the OMC carb kits and adjusted the floats level with the carb upside down. I’m still getting fuel puddling at the front of the carb throat on both carbs. Also for the engine to idle I have to adjust the throttle bolt which puts the engine running at 1 degree after TDC. The spec calls for 0 to 2 degrees before TDC. Am I overlooking something?

I think you are overthinking.----You set maximum timing advance.----You check idle timing and it is where throttle plates open.----Actual idle timing looks after itself !!

Ok. So I don’t worry about the timing at idle? Could the emulsion tube be causing the puddling if it’s not sealing in the carb body? Thanks

I have a new question about the link and sink for this 48 hp. I was checking the max timing using the Joe Reeves method retarding the timing from 19 degrees to 15 degrees. To achieve this I have the linkage under the flywheel adjusted to 2 1/2 inches . That put the timing correctly. The problem is when returning the throttle back to idle I have to have the idle adjustment screw adjusted all the way in to where there is no threads left for any other adjustments if it would be necessary. That doesn’t seem right since the screw is about 2 inches long and I had to use the entire length of the screw. Can you please reply. Thanks.

Back