Logo

1991 Evinrude 25 HP - can't seem to get the water tube lined up with the grommet on the water pump

whitegreg56

Regular Contributor
It is an E25TELEIE.
I took the lower unit off because there was some water in the gear case.
It passes a pressure/vacuum test, now.

In trying to get the lower unit back on, I've had a lot of trouble getting the water tube to go into the water pump grommet.
I finally used a length of stainless-steel wire (with a little hook on the end) and a spotlight.
Thought I had it. Put the bolts holding the lower unit back in and fired it up.
NOT PUMPING! Nothing but smoke coming out of the tell-tale. It was pumping fine when I took it apart.

Is there some trick to getting the lower unit back on?

Well, the last half-inch is critical. Unfortunately, all I can see at that point is the side of the water-pump housing.

On the small two-stroke Mercury's there is a water tube guide that is a couple of inches long....makes it very easy!

I guess I should ask the local Evinrude repair place....

Water tube must be installed into the exhaust housing first.-----Then assembly is simple.-----Well at least I have never had an issue with one of those !

I got it. Here's the trick. Bring the lower unit up until there is approximately a half-inch gap left.
Look in just above the back end of the lower unit. Use a headlamp to see what is going on.
Put a little hook in the end of a piece of stainless wire. Push it in and hook it around the water tube.
Pull the wire back until the water tube is aligned with the grommet. Push the lower unit all the way up.
Yank the wire out. Done.

It is all back together and is pumping like crazy....

Back