Logo

1988 Johnson 40hp Tiller throttle linkage

jdrake83

I’ve got the Service Manual and I’m using it to get everything lined out and adjusted, but I’m having a tedious time with step 4 and 5 which state (page 1-36):

4 ”Turn the twist grip to full open and to full closed positions. Check the clearance between the roller and end of the cam slot. The roller should be approximately 1/4 in. away from both ends of slot.”

5 “If adjustment is necessary, loosen jam nut and rotate thumb wheel to obtain correct adjustment. Tighten jam nut after correct adjustment is obtained.”

The problem I’m having is that if I adjust the thumb wheel and get the roller 1/4” from the end of the slot at WOT then when I rotate the twist grip to full closed the roller is 1/8” from the end of the slot. If I adjust the thumb wheel to get 1/4” at closed then the roller is all the way to the end of the slot at WOT.

Per step 3 “Back out idle screw and wide open stop screw” I have both of those backed out all the way.

So my question is: Should I just get it so that at WOT the roller is 1/4” and not worry about the closed position?

Also…For those familiar with the Joe Reeves method I’ve been told that his method for timing adjustment does not work on my particular motor (J40TELCCS). Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

These things normally do not go out of adjustment.----What is your mo6tor doing / not doing ?

They do when you completely take things apart to change the head gasket, and then the powerhead adapter plate gaskets, etc. With the hubbub things got out of whack. So I’m starting from scratch to put it all back correctly.

Back