Logo

2016 Mercury 25HP EFI Will not start when hot

Drewbe77556

I have a 2016 Mercury 25HP electronic fuel injected motor that will start right away when cold but after running the motor for an hour or so and stop to fish. When I go to start the motor back up, it will crank but will
not start. After waiting an hour or so, it will start and run with no issue. I don’t even know where to start. Thank for any help.

I’m planning to take it out tomorrow with tools in hopes that the issue happens. I have changed the fuel filter and was thinking of cleaning the VST before taking it out. It almost seems like it vapor locks.

It would not start again today after warming the motor up. Ran the motor for about 30 mins, stopped for about 20 mins, motor started fine, started going and it started spitting and spuddering, shut off and would not start back up. I checked the fire on all 3 spark plugs with an in line spark tester and all 3 were firing. I drained the VST, pump the fuel line and it started back up. When I got home I took the VST off and opened it up. Very little was on the screen on the bottom. Not sure what else I should check.

Check you charging voltage and ground to fuel pump. If loose or overcharging it will lock up due to heat. Draining VST,setting and fresh VST fuel refill likely cools it soi t starts again.

Back