Logo

Oil Leak 1985 MCM 228 after stringers collapsed

Guenter

Apart from oil filter, what are the common sites for oil leaks on this 305?

Boat is 1985 GREW 235 (Canadian Boat) with MCM 228 and Alpha 1 Gen 1. Stringers collapsed last year, but was able to hobble home. Serious misalignment did some damage to drive (someone else with ++experience with drive rebuilds will attempt to rebuild it for me). Bilge was clean for years, but not after this problem. I suspect rear main seal. I pulled engine out (but haven't yet tackled the repairs I want to do, and paid $5G for new stringers and repair of rotting transom (rest of boat is solid......it was always a tough boat apart from stringer problem).

I plan to replace coupling, and even though Gimbal bearing was changed a few years ago, I plan on changing that. Had to change the U-joints as they were damaged by this.

I am assuming that the misalignment problem put sufficient strain on the moving parts so that the rear main seal was also damaged. My plan is to replace that and the oil pan seal.

Anyone have experience with such a problem? Suggestions on how to proceed? Not sure I want to replace other seals if they're ok. Is front engine seal a pain in the assess to replace, for eg.?

Ayuh,..... I'd suspect possible oil pan damage, rather than the rear main seal,.....

Please educate me. How could the oil pan have been damaged? The stringers collapsed, but I don't think that the engine dropped more than 1/2 - 3/4" in total.....not enough for the oil pan to bind against anything. What am I missing? Is this a common problem?

Thanks

Please educate me. How could the oil pan have been damaged? The stringers collapsed, but I don't think that the engine dropped more than 1/2 - 3/4" in total.....not enough for the oil pan to bind against anything. What am I missing? Is this a common problem?

Thanks

Ayuh,.... They tend to rust through, the collapse may have breached a bad spot,....

The crank couldn't shift enough to cause the rear main to leak,....

indeed, especially after 3+ decades.

I would seriously consider a major overhaul when the engine is removed for repair...

Back