Logo

Can’t remove drain bolt or gear case oil screw on Honda 75HP

Greetings,
I’m trying to change my engine oil and my gear case oil, and I can’t remove either the the drain bolt or the gear case screw. They seem seized. Going to buy and try a six sided socket instead of the 12 sided one that slips (but only slips under almost as much torque as I can muster). Any advice on either issue?

Note that the gear case screw was a problem last year, and I took it to the dealer and they said they replaced the oil. Attaching pictures of each.
4A781122-B81E-4991-8E61-181D506BEE42.jpeg
6869C274-01DA-4E27-93B4-2F594E3CD7CF.jpeg

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
I had problems with the gear case screws last fall, and the solution was an impact driver (manual). With the right bit, a slight twist and a whack with a mallet and the screw opened right up. On my engine (a 2014 80A) I had to whack both the upper and lower screw.
As for the engine oil drain, I didn't have trouble getting it open, but I wonder if your socket maybe is too wide, and thereby slightly rides on the plastic around the bolt? That could be reason for apparent slip? If not, I'd wager that the impact driver might help there too? The problem with just a bar or ratchet is that you apply more or less only static torque. Of course, a mallet whack on the bar can help, but of course the impact driver imposes a more direct torque, without the flex that is bound to happen in a bar.

Second the vote for using a hand impact driver on the LU drain screw. Have never had an issue with one of those on hand.

Six sided socket for the oil drain also a good plan....

Hey! Fishomaine! How did you get pain in the ass by the word police when they bleep...watch this....***** eye???

Back