Logo

Maybe over thinking

Raceone I feel your frustration as I am.living it. But I think something has come up. I did and do get spark at idle on all 3 cylinders not sure when at full throttle but still sounds smooth. What I noticed when the head was off is that number 3 or bottom pistion was still silver where the other two were black. I have to assume maybe number 3 is losing spark??? I had cleaned the pistons prior to any photos. Know that we confirmed pistons are in correctly ( two ports face the flywheel) there must be something as to why two.pistons were black and one silver.
Thanks for the help.

Hinall results of another tear down and rebuild. Over looked something that I was not aware of. When I purchase this boat and motor it had been repaired with evinrude parts including the gear box. What effect does that have I believe the ratio is 2:1 where I think mine is 2:65. I installed a much smaller prop and it easily hits 3500 tp 3600 now from 3000.

Evinrude and Johnson parts are the same !-----There is something wrong with your tachometer.----Or with your motor.-----Gear ratio on the 3 cylinder 60 / 70 HP has always been the same 12:29 or .41 as far as I know.

After reading through this long tale of woe, post #32 finally grabbed my attention. A clean piston is a sign that it might be ingesting water into the cylinder, "steam-cleaning" the piston. I'm pretty sure that also was racerone's thought when he asked the question in post #33. Warped exhaust parts may leak, even with new gaskets. Do we know what caused the original damage to this motor? Overheated, maybe?

Back