Logo

'87 120V4-switch bro to accessory fuel pump

Walboy

Hey there folks. Restore/rebuild '69 Wreidt Stinger 16.6. Swapped the Merc 1350 for Johnson 120V4. Using six gal. tank, moved to bow for balast. Original repair manual says after disconnect & removal of bro; mount electric accessory fuel pump next to & below fuel tank. I got over 11' of standard 3/8" fuel line & got a 4-7psi pump, mounted as required. Motor is awesome! 130 all four, took the old girl out & she ran like a raped ape...from mid to high R's. Low R's, she ran rough had no guts, hesitated. Jets were good, as was filter. Found a primer fuel line stbd side with leaky fitting. Pulled it, cleanup, new seal, turned around & ran the boat 2nd time, 3 days later. A little smoother on low end, not as crisp on high end, but each time I tried to restart, it acted like it was flooded. Take a couple mins each time to get good enough idle to shift & run. During this time she blows blue smoke. By time I got back to dock, after about two hours of start & stop fishing, fuel pump quit running - just before no wake zone. This happened with two pumps...identicle specs, different manufacturer. When I pull the pump, bench clean & test - the dang pump would run again! Both pumps. I'm on Cali blend fuel....Pumps stated right on the body not to be used with Ethanol/methanol fuels. So; what's happening here? Do I need a different pump(duh?), If so, which pump? Any observations are appreciated. I've never even seen or heard of this bro system, til I ran into this one...Thanks ahead of time for solving this problem!!! I spent a year, day & nite restoring/rebuilding this boat - wanna use this sucker now ...!

Myself I would use a crankcase PRESSURE operated pump , a VRO style or others..----They are simple and very reliable-----VRO automatic oil mixing pumps were introduced on 1984 model V-4 and V-6 Johnson / Evinrudes.-----You are mixing oil and gas at 50:1 on this motor ?

Last edited:
Back