Logo

E-tec EMM Toasted?

jdschwass

Heyall,

I just (despite better judgement?) bought a 2006 Evinrude, 40HP Tiller, PTT and electric start.
The seller just had it serviced, and was out trolling when it suddenly quit and would not start. He got towed in and determined there was no spark.

So now I have it. I have done a ton of reading on various forums.
Cranking the engine over, 1 of 4 LEDs on the EMM blinked once, and that was it. Next I unplugged the tiller harness, and connected the purple (key) wire to 12v. In theory this should act like the console key and allow me to power up the EMM without the engine turning. When I do this, no lights come on.

Then I removed the EMM entirely, and confirmed that there is indeed 12v getting to the purple wire on the EMM harness. Fuse is good and has 12v getting to it.

My diagnosis is that the EMM is toast. Is there anything else worth checking before making big decisions? If the EMM needs to be replaced, then I'm not sure now whether to give up and flip it, or if it is worth my time to acquire a new/used unit; though my understanding is that this requires dealer programming, which adds even more cost.

I would appreciated any advice or any ideas,

Thanks!

I guess though if you look at it from the other side: A lot of people say that, not to touch these motors. I do all my own work, and I have a good working knowledge base. If there are lots of people with this mindset, then parts and used engines should be cheap and abundant... not a bad market to be in.

But I would appreciate any advice you might have on the diagnostics side of things. I don't know if there is anything I can check or do before tackling the EMM. I understand there are companies that will repair them, which is cheaper than a new/used unit.

Thanks.

Back