Logo

96 Johnson 40 J40 TLEDS VRO swithch to reg fuel pump

Jeff Austin

Hello,
I have a 1996 40 HP Johnson TLEDS. It came with a new fuel pump in an OM box 438557 23-A-1L.
I removed the VRO from the front of the motor on the port side of the two carburetors. Toward the stern on the port side, I mounted the new regular pump with two screws and it's gasket over the pulse hole on the engine. (which I unplugged on the engine) In addition, I then proceeded to run the pulse hose (inboard pump connection) to the pulse port that the VRO was using. This pulse port is located just to port side of the lower portion of the bottom carburetor and has a pulse limiter screwed into it.
So my pump has two (2) pulse connections that seem quite far apart.
Is this correct?
thanx...L8r...jeff

Wrong pump.-----You need a pump with 2 nipples and it mounts directly over the pulse port.----Plug the hole where the pulse limiter is now.

Use 438556 fuel pump.----Or the 438557 using the pulse from the vro pulse port.----I do not believe the pulse port is open on the back of the 438557 pump.

Last edited:
Thanks, do you know if I can simply I plug the hose port on this pump and the hole where the VRO was using and use this pump? That is almost just removing the inboard hose from the pump.
L8r...jeff

Up to you to listen.-----The 438557 is NOT OPEN to the pulse port on the side of the top cylinder.----Look at this and understand how these simple PRESSURE pumps work.

Ok, so my 438557 is hooked up to the VRO pulse limiter via hose and that is good. And since the 438557 has no opening to to the top cylinder where it is mounted with a gasket, then that port is effectively plugged so I'm good there also. I only need the VRO port and, although by accident, that is all I have. This couldn't be better.

Thanks for the help. I took the two screws out and removed the pump from the mounting surface. I can see in the hole, about a quarter inch deep, that the casting is a blind hole. I put it back on and I'm good to go. I wish that the guy who took the motor apart 12 years ago had bought the 438556 pump with only two hoses so I would have one less hose, or had I known, I would have made a bracket for this one and at least had shorter hoses. I did get confused by the Dangar Marine video that shows what I thought to be my pump and takes pulses from both top and bottom cylinders, or that's what he said. From this I thought the pump needed two sources.
Thanks again....L8r jeff

Nonsense-----There are 2 completely separate crankcases.----So how would 2 pulse hose work ?-----Piston going up on one creating suction.----Piston going down on the other creating pressure.---Would cancel out no ??-----Some of these u-tube presenters can be entertaining.

With a drill bit you can likely convert the 557 pump to work like the 556 pump.-----It be easy for me to do this , if I had this issue.

There is no way that the pump could work if it was connected to 2 crankcases!!-----Folks just do not know how these simple reliable pumps work !----In the video you can clearly see ( at least I can ) that this pump only get one pressure pulse !----These pumps work on a pressure pulse , not vacuum.

Last edited:
Thanks for everything! makes me <GRIN> I wonder if his engine is a conversion like mine, where somebody a long time ago did the same thing I did and he just logic-ed a way to explain it when in reality he only gets a pulse from the bottom because, unknown to him, the other hole is a blind casting.

You mean: Everything On The Internet Isn't True? How will I sleep tonight?

I will sleep much better, that's how.

Back