Logo

Rodents and Command Link Guages

Stuart S

Hello all

I'm new here and hoping you can offer some advice.

I have a Yamaha f150 (c. 2014) and the square Command Link gauges. Over the course of the winter, a red squirrel took up residence under my cowling. I discovered this when I went to check the oil levels prior to my first run of the season.

It turns out the b*gger chewed most of the small wires in the front of the cowling as well as the tilt wire. The damage appears to be confined to this area inside the cowling. The battery power was turned off all winter. I was able to splice all of the wires back together. The engine runs fine, and the tilt is good, but I have blank displays on the Command Link gauges. My dealer is swamped and hasn't been able to get me in.

As far as I have been able to determine, there is not a fuse in the feed to the gauges, but if anyone knows otherwise, please speak up. I checked the fuses on the engine and they're fine. Failing that, I am wondering if I'm missing a ground someplace or even a wire that was completely chewed off. The wires I reconnected all seemed "obvious" with colour coding. There doesn't appear to be any power to the gauges at all... no display, no backlight. They're DOA.

I have seen other threads here regarding blank gauges, but they all appeared to be unrelated to friggin' rodents.

I'm a bit of an idiot with this kind of thing, so if anyone has any bright ideas and you can articulate them as if you're talking to a six year old, I'd surely appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!

When you say blank displays, do you mean lines where information should be?

No data input has to be either one or both of the two wires from the ECU to the Command Link connector. Or possibly a wire leaving from the connector going to a hub in the boat.

No fuses are involved for data to the gauges.

[url=https://postimages.org/]
[/URL]

Back