Logo

50 hp Evinrude help

I have a 1995 Evinrude 50(e50tleod). It won't idle unless I give it a little throttle and it tops out at 9 mph, I usually get about 30 mph, at wot. I've changed fuel filter. I checked replaced spark plugs and tested the spark is blue and jumps 1/2" on tester. I've never run ethanol gas in the 3 years I've had it. 2 weeks ago went out on Thurs and it ran fine except rough idle. Then that sat it started bogging down and would only go about 12 mph but after about a mile or so it slowly got up to 20 mph and barley in plane I sprayed cards with sea foam and replaced plugs and checked spark this past weekend took it out again and won't idle without throttle and top speed was 9mph and never would get on plane can someone help in where to start? I'm thinking maybey rebuild kit for carbs? Thankse

The trouble shooting always starts with a compression test.-----Post the actual values for further help.-----Mixing gas and oil at 50:1 or is VRO in servivce and tested ???----Water pump replaced when you got this motor ??

The trouble shooting always starts with a compression test.-----Post the actual values for further help.-----Mixing gas and oil at 50:1 or is VRO in servivce and tested ???----Water pump replaced when you got this motor ??

Did compression test last week. Was 105 in top cylinder and 102 in bottom. The vro is divounnected and everything plugged, was like that when I got it, I mix 50:1 and it's fresh gas. Never had ethanol in it since I've had it. Did water pump last year and it pees strong

Perhaps check the flywheel key.-----I do not like those compression numbers.------I would pull the cylinder head off to have a look in there.----Head gasket is cheap.

What should I look for when I pull off cylinder head? I have a head gasket should be here tom. I've done work on several different outboards I've had but have never pullerd head off one

You are looking for possible scored pistons / cylinder walls.-----An inspection / cleaning of carburetors usually requires no parts.

You are looking for possible scored pistons / cylinder walls.-----An inspection / cleaning of carburetors usually requires no parts.
I took cylinder head off and the cylinder walls are perfectly smooth no carbon buildup or anything . The back of piston has a little black carbon build up on it I'm in process of cleaning it up now. I did notice when I was removing head that one of the bottom bolts looked like it may have some oily moisture buildup around it like possibly a slight leak in old gasket?

Update:
Still working on motor. I rechecked compression with a snap on tester and compression is 120 in both cylinders( my cheap harbour freight tester was off). I took off carbs and cleaned and new gaskets , floatect. From kit. Motor still running rough. The previous owner bypassed the vro2 by plugging the oil line but didn't switch out the pumps for just a fuel pump. But with carbs and starter off there is a fitting on the very bottom of intake manifold for fuel/line? There is nothing attached to it. Is this the pulse line? I can't really tell from manual and I assume it should be plugged so it's not just open. Any ideas on where to go next are greatly appreciated. Should I switch vro pump for. Fuel pump?
Thanks riverdawg1

So far I've checked compression and it's good. Installed new head gasket. Cleaned and inspected pistons. Rebuilt carbs. New tstat(old was pretty gunked up when I took head off so replaced it). It's peeing strong. .spark is strong and jumps 7/16". New plugs. But it still won't idle or get to wot.. if I put throttle all the way up it will start and runs about 1100 rpms but runs rough and now and then it will jump up to 3000 rpms and sound better but then it goes back down and either rubs rough or dies. Could the leaf valves cause this? Looking at them without removing the manifold they don't look bad but can't see them all that great either. I guess I should clean carbs again and soak over night this time since they are already off where I was looking at leaf valves

Last edited:
Checked the flywheel key ??--As per post #4 about 3 weeks ago?----There is a wee hose that goes from bottom of airbox to engine block.-----Prevents any spillage from going all over the motor.----The pulse hose goes from bottom of the block to the VRO pump air motor.

There is a short length of hose ( 3/16" ID ) that goes from bottom of airbox to the engine block.----Sucks in any leakage / spillage from carburetors.----The PRESSURE pulse hose for VRO comes from the pulse limiter ( flow fuse ) has a big hex on it.

you sure it's not running in LIMP / S.L.O.W. mode? unplug the temp sensor from the head to see if that makes a difference. I had an issue with my '98 25 triple that turned out to be a defective temp sensor which put the engine in limp mode where it only went at about 10% speed.

Yes I unplugged temp switch and it made no difference. I took carbs off again and soaked and cleaned them again. I set slow speed idle screw at 3 1/2 turns out, not sure why but 1995 is listed as 3 1/2 in manual, it wouldn't start. Went back to about 1 3/4 turns out and it will start with warm up lever all the way up but I'm getting 1100 rpms if I lower it it dies. But now and then it seems to catch and rpms will go up to around 3000 then back down to around 1100. But won't start or run at idle . Please give me some ideas this driving me crazy not being ableto fish for lastmonth

The electric primer valve looks after the motor firing up for cold starting.----Low speed mixture has little to do with motor starting.

Ok quick ? To start I have to pull warm up throttle all the way up, and it only runs at 1100 rpms. With it running like that I turned the slow speed idle screw all the way in on top carb and it didn't make any difference. Still 1100 tom except the occasional going up to 3000 or so then back down. Does this sound like a carb issue?

Motor should respond to turning the idle mixture screw,.-----Does it respond on the bottom carburetor ???----Did you remove the orifice plugs found INSIDE the float bowl for cleaning ????

No I havnt tried bottom one I'm going to when I get home from work today. Yes I took orifice plugs out and soaked and sprayed them out. I'll let you know this evening about bottom carb. I took everything in the carb apart except I didn't take the core plug out, but I do have another one that came with rebuild kit if I need to

Back