Logo

Rebuild Sherwood raw water pump

stugiv

Greetings all, I'm working on rebuilding the Sherwood P-1014 raw water pump from my '97 454XL. I'm following the instructions from Sherwood's catalog. I've got the impeller, cam & wear plate out. I don't see a snap ring that is shown in the diagram to hold on the seal seat or any washer? Has anyone done this before & know any of the tricks?

Thanks!

P1014 exploded view

if the snap ring (12) isn't there, the washer and the seal should come off the shaft...

is the washer loose (axially)?tried lifting the washer with a 90 degree pick?

The washer came right off. There is a rubber seal below which appears to be attached to the seal seat? That doesn't want to move so far, but I haven't found a way to pry it very hard.

if you have the new parts, you can usually make a good guess on where the old parts end...a hooked pick can also be useful for pulling some of those seals...if the seal is metal cased (around its OD), you typically have to grab the inside of that lip..

The bearings & snap rings were corroded & brittle. A friend helped & we used a press to get the shaft out & the internal parts mostly crumbled. The remnants of the snap rings were still in the grooves on the shaft. Explains why I couldn't see it. The pump body is still in good condition & cleaned up well. The shaft has some scoring on it from the bearings but it should still work fine.

That suggests your service intervals should be more frequent...hopefully, it will all go back together just fine...

Indeed. It's something I was neglecting out of ignorance. I knew there were minor & major rebuild kits but never took the time to lookup recommended service intervals. I other pump was replace when I purchased the boat & came apart easily, so I have that as a comparison. I think I damaged one of the ceramic seals when trying to seat it. I have a replacement on order.

Hello @stugiv, I am also rebuilding a sherwood p-1014 pump. I'm purchasing the major rebuild kit that comes with everything except the shaft. I may also buy a replacement shaft if necessary. Do you mind describing how you got the new bearings on the shaft and then back into the housing? Did you use a press? Apply heat? Appreciate any tips! Also, it does sound like you replaced the shaft, but if you did, what was the process for removing/installing the pulley "hub". Thanks!

A hydraulic press makes the work described pretty easy...the hubs typically press on and off...just measure the shaft exposure and write it down before removing the hub...make sure you load the bearing races properly...not paying attention them can ruin them...

A hydraulic press makes the work described pretty easy...the hubs typically press on and off...just measure the shaft exposure and write it down before removing the hub...make sure you load the bearing races properly...not paying attention them can ruin them...
Thank you makomark! Appreciate the tip to pre-measure the shaft exposure. Take care!

for the next time...you can buy the bearings at any good bearing supplier...the seals may be available at another source but I never found a viable one...get the numbers off of the new one...

Back