Logo

Mariner 60hp 1989 wont start. Urgent help needed

abu22

Hi, i have a mariner 60hp 1989 3 cylinder with 2 carbs . Worked fine for three years. Good compression. One day i fired it up on land with water hose connected. I was gonna lean the mixture out by turning the screws out. The engine was running very high rpm thats why. When i got it in a satisfactory idle rpm i turned the engine off and called it night. The next day, on land with water, it wouldnt start just a small pop in exhaust and smoke out of both carbs once. still good compression.Cleaned carbs , good spark, the engine will run for a few seconds with starter fluid. Fuel comes up to the carbs but wont get in to the cylinders. What could be the problem? the float level is correct. I need to get this on water as my son love the boat life , he cant wait.

Hi, i have a mariner 60hp 1989 3 cylinder with 2 carbs . Worked fine for three years. Good compression. One day i fired it up on land with water hose connected. I was gonna lean the mixture out by turning the screws out. The engine was running very high rpm thats why. When i got it in a satisfactory idle rpm i turned the engine off and called it night. The next day, on land with water, it wouldnt start just a small pop in exhaust and smoke out of both carbs once. still good compression.Cleaned carbs , good spark, the engine will run for a few seconds with starter fluid. Fuel comes up to the carbs but wont get in to the cylinders. What could be the problem? the float level is correct. I need to get this on water as my son love the boat life , he cant wait.
Put your carb adjustments back to where they were. Carb adjustments are made with the engine running in gear and up to operating temps. You cannot set them on muffs must be done in the water.. Idle adjustments are also not made with the carb screws buy a manual and learn how to work on your motor. Idle RPM is also set in gear on a warm motor.

Last edited:
Put your carb adjustments back to where they were. Carb adjustments are made with the engine running in gear and up to operating temps. You cannot set them on muffs must be done in the water.. Idle adjustments are also not made with the carb screws buy a manual and learn how to work on your motor. Idle RPM is also set in gear on a warm motor.

I have the manual, i put them back . Still wont start. Only with starter fluid.

Operation the manual pump fills the carburetors.---Motor should start and run on that fuel.== Are you pushing key in for cold starting?---Is the choke / primer system working?

Operation the manual pump fills the carburetors.---Motor should start and run on that fuel.== Are you pushing key in for cold starting?---Is the choke / primer system working?
Choke system is working, i have the manual for this engine. Theres no choke plate in front of inlet nozzle/venturi , the throttle plate is behind it and the choke is in a another place at the back of the carb against the intake . Fuel pump is working , i tried to crank it with the fuel filter unconnnected. a few squirts of gas came out . there’s no help for troubleshooting in the manual, only how to disassemble the carb and clean them, which i have done .

You have to do something start somewhere.-----Have your battery load tested.----Take starter apart for inspection and ohm check on armature.----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" ( 1 cm ) with sparkplugs still in the engine , yes or no ?

Back