Logo

BF200A cutting out

Billfish56

I have a 2018 BF200A that runs fine most of the time, however occasionally cuts out bad and sometimes shuts off while running on plane. The fuel bulb never really gets hard, sometimes have to pump fuel bulb to get it to restart. Fuel system recently serviced at Honda dealership. Currently have approx 400 hrs on engine, purchased it used when it had approx. 36 hrs. It has done this approx 20 times since I have owned the engine. I also have a friend that has a 2013 Honda 225 that does the same thing. He has replaced all his fuel lines with new larger lines and still has same issue.

First thing to inspect. Where the rigging comes into the engine cowling, remove the hold down for the cables, fuel line, battery cables ect.. an look for corrosion that is pinching off the fuel line. The fuel line will flow enough fuel until there is a larger demand or the engine is trimmed..... and then stalling happens.

Ditto on what Chris recommended.

If no issue there, 1.) pull your high-pressure fuel filter and make sure it is clean and installed correctly; 2.) drain the VST; 3.) check the seal and drain plug on your external fuel-water separator to make sure there are no air leaks and the filter is tight; 4.) check the connections and bowls on the internal fuel-water separator and low-pressure fuel filter; 5.) pull the fuel pickup from the fuel tank and carefully inspect for clogs or holes in the tubing.

Although these engines do not really need the primer bulb (the LP and HP fuel pumps will draw enough fuel without it) the check valve inside the primer bulb can go bad and cause problems. So, if none of the items above do not solve the problem, replace the primer bulb and fuel line to the internal F/W separator.

Also, if no obvious problem is found, bypass the primer bulb and fuel line to the onboard F/W separator and install a clear plastic hose of the same ID. (I think it is 5/8".) Run the engine hard and look for air bubbles in the plastic tubing. In no air bubbles there, install a clear plastic fuel line from the LP fuel filter to the VST, bypassing the fuel cut-off solenoid, and look for air bubbles there when you run the engine hard.

Back