Logo

flywheel needed

I've been off the forum for some time and am now finally starting to collect parts for my new engine. I bought a boat with a seized and cracked 454 Crusader, it was a 1984 so it had a two piece rear main seal. The block I picked up is a newer Gen 5 I believe, no mount for a fuel pump, almost certain a cast crank and a one piece rear main seal. I need a flywheel for a top mount, automotive rotation, Gen 5, 454. I have priced a few and honestly don't want to have to pay over $300 for a flywheel that should only cost about $120 since the only difference is the location of the starter ring teeth (and balanced for the Gen 5 engine). By any chance is anyone parting out such an animal that would be willing to part with the flywheel?

you can get the GM performance gen V replacement for under $200...

Moving the ring gear isn't hard, just need to take your time...any machine shop can do it for a small fee.

The other option is to check the marine salvage yards...last couple times I looked, they had no shame asking way too much for what was typically a marginally serviceable item...but that should be the case for a flywheel...

I had thought about a standard flywheel and moving the ring gear but I'm wasn't sure if the flywheel would be cast or machined in such a way as to allow the ring gear to fit on the "other side". I guess I would have to just find one and look at it. Thanks -

Some flywheels are machined to use for I/O engine mount or aft entry flywheel mount .
post some clear pics of the new flywheel and we`ll let you know
I also may have a dual use one.if BB and SB share the same one,
whats your location?

Back