Logo

1987 mercury 35 hp reliability

gavin17

I'm looking at a 1987 bass tracker pro 16 with a mercury 35 horse outboard. he wants 3900 for it is this a bad price or a good one and also are these motors reliable. the guys doesn't seem to have done a ton of maintence but the owner before seem to have with new decking, electronics etc.. should I buy it or no?

Reasonably motor, though a bit torque less compared to larger displacement 35S.

Jeff

overall do these motors typically last awhile I’m young so I just want soemthing that I won’t need to dump tons of money into, and do u think that’s a good price

Maybe, maybe not. Prices vary considerably, depending on location alone.
Do some searches on Craigslist & other buy/sell platforms to get a feel for what they go for.
If I were laying out cash for a motor I wanted to keep, check compression.
if that deal includes a decent trailer, & a few odds & ends- think oars etc it’s probably fair.
However, if the motor is problematic & not looked after, & you can’t troubleshoot & repair yourself, it might be a poor deal.

Maybe, maybe not. Prices vary considerably, depending on location alone.
Do some searches on Craigslist & other buy/sell platforms to get a feel for what they go for.
If I were laying out cash for a motor I wanted to keep, check compression.
if that deal includes a decent trailer, & a few odds & ends- think oars etc it’s probably fair.
However, if the motor is problematic & not looked after, & you can’t troubleshoot & repair yourself, it might be a poor deal.
Ok perfect thank u he said he hasent serviced it but has only owners it for a year it seems the owner befor did tho, I have basic mechanical skill and can do some stuff, it’s a bass tracker so has fish finders and trolling motor

One problem that plagued these motors if they were over propped and lugged was that they would break or bend the crankshaft. The wobble would show up as excessive labyrinth seal wear (in the center reed block) and the engine would not idle properly because of fuel scavenging cross talk between the cylinders. See how it runs in the lake before you buy it.

Back