Logo

Stalling on newer motor

RickR90s

Contributing Member
We have a 2019 Crest pontoon with a Mercury 60hp Command Thrust motor.

No problems the first two years and then late in the season last year, noticed that the boat would want to stall if RPM's were above 3500.

I did the following:

new spark plugs
new low pressure fuel filter
new high pressure fuel filter

Winter storage was outside with fall maintenance:

Change oil and filter
Change lower unit oil
Add Marine Stabil to fuel (1/4 tank, about five gallons)
Fogged the motor

Started it up in the driveway yesterday and it fired immediately and ran perfect at idle.

I dropped it in this afternoon and it again idled perfect until I increased RPM's to about 3000, where this time it promptly stalled.
It took awhile to start it again and I loosened the fuel cap and noticed air escaping so I know I had pressure.

I tightened the cap, squeezed the pressure ball about three times and it started again and I idled back to my dock with no issues.

I'm a bit stumped at this point.

Appreciate any guidance.

It does sound very much like when you open the fuel tank cap that is not air escaping but rushing in as you have created a vacuum in the fuel tank which is preventing fuel flowing to the engine.

I'm not sure how to check the fuel tank vent. I assume it's built into the cap?

Maybe I should see if I can replicate the problem by running with the fuel cap open?

No probs and yes, do try running with the tank cap open, the vent screw is typically an additional thumb screw on the tank cap or a thumb screw on the gauge and must be opened and working correctly to prevent the vacuum forming.

I'll report back after work today. I do know that the tank doesn't have a thumb screw. It is similar to a gas cap on a car.

Thank very much

An update: I discovered that the boat is still in warranty and contacted my local dealer. After learning that they charge $250 for deliver and pickup, plus a min. of four hours labor ($150/hour) in case the issue is not warranty related, I decided to diagnose further. Several people I know said to look at the fuel pump so I installed one yesterday. I didn't get a chance to take the boat out as it was raining, but it DID start and idle perfectly as before. I am attaching photos of the fuel tank and want to ask if there's any additional points to check? I still need to take it out and will test the fuel cap but is there perhaps any filters, screens inside the tank that should be inspected? May I also ask if the VST (Vapor Separation Tank) needs to be inspected?
IMG_5464.jpgIMG_5465.jpgIMG_5466.jpg

Last edited:
Back