Logo

1970 mercury thunderbolt 500 no pee

Hi everyone, yesterday I took my old boat out of storage (engine did not run for 2 years). After hooking everything up the engine started pretty easily, I let it ran for a few minutes and then I revved it a little bit to make sure it was running good. No problem so far, the only thing is that there is no water coming out of the tell tale (pee hole). The engine seems to stay quite cold to the touch, the exhaust plate is pretty much stone cold when running but still the engine doesn't pee.

What I did so far:
-Clean the tell tale orrifice
-Clean the tell tale hose that goes in the engine plastic nipple
-New water pump kit
-Blew air compressed air in the tell tale hose (a lot of resistance not much air going through)
-Removed lower unit, plug garden hose to the copper tube, ran the engine with water running. still no pee
-Installed garden hose to the tell tale hose to back flush (almost no water going through)

I'm starting to run out of idea :confused:

The engine never peed like crazy but I always had a little bit of water coming out.

I intend to sell the boat and engine this summer and I would really like to make sure it pee before I sell it, even though I'm pretty sure the engine gets cooled I don't want to sell something that is not in good running condition.

Thanks guys!

Does water come out of the slits above the propeller on the sides of the driveshaft housing and the prop? if not you are not getting flow from the waterpump.

When you are running on the muffs the house pressure is pushing the water past the waterpump, recheck the WP impeller installation it might not be driven by the driveshaft.

When you are running on the muffs the house pressure is pushing the water past the waterpump, recheck the WP impeller installation it might not be driven by the driveshaft.

I hooked the hose directly to the copper tube with the lower unit off and still had no water coming out of the pee hose, that would discard a WP problem I think ?:confused:

Back