Logo

Hard steering no matter what I've changed

PT101

Got boat out Friday to see how it did after winter repairs. This boat is a 1997 Rinker 240 Fiesta Vee. This boat is nice for its age. Spent most of its life dry docked on a shelf at a marina. It has 350 EFI, Alpha One Gen 2 drive. My steering is awful. Hard to turn and maneuver especially loading on trailer. Thought i had it fixed after changing actuator, power steering pump. I even had cable out. Took it to boat repair shop. They said nothing was wrong with it because it worked so freely. The stock cable is a SSC12475 Teleflex USA 7050. Thats a 16 ft cable not made anymore. I ordered a replacement. The rack pinion was wider than stock. I could not get it to work in tight space behind the helm. Sent it back used old cable. I've disconnected cable from stern. The lower unit turns freely on the gimbal bearings.  I don't know what else to do to free up steering. Is cable working free when its straight and binds up in boat because of the 2 almost 90 degree bends it makes installed in boat? Is actuator bad? Is power steering pump not got working pressure valve ? Old stock one done same thing. Anyone got any suggestions?<br>I'm going to take cable loose next week from outdrive and check how free it moves again. After that im lost.

You most likely only needed to replace the cable.............

99% of steering cables are NON serviceable and require replacement.
Who ever told you that the removed steering cable was good WAS WRONG.

Yes it is the 90* bends that are what is causing the issue and replacing the cable will solve this issue. Wear from inner cable to outer cable at bend. The most common cause of failure

The power steering assist and pump rarely if ever cause your issue

Like I said that factory Teleflex cable is no longer available. The M86 cable I ordered was too wide at the rack to go under my dash. My boat has tilt wheel. I wonder if I would be better off to just replace the whole steering helm and steering wheel? The rack bolt hole pattern isn't the same on some cables.

Of course you left out a key piece of info.

Tilt steering

Can you post any photos of your set up.

There are two types typically for steering cables.

Rack and pinion

Rotary

Every so many years they redesign the cable systems which makes older models obsolete (On purpose).

I did a quick search and as I just mentioned, Your steering cable was made 1984 to 1997............

But this web site says it has some. The key is the length of your cable and whether or not they have that length.

Google is your friend, hopefully the have what you seek.

The tilt/helm system you may or may not need to buy as in your case only the cable is worn. But if they dont sell them individually then buy the kit

https://www.wmjmarine.com/88-1310.html

I got boat out today and took steering cable loose from actuator (assist) or whatever you want to call it. The steering wheel turns free with one finger. The lower unit turns freely with this all disconnected. I've changed actuator, new power steering pump. That's causing the hard steering? Don't know what else to try.

Back