Logo

30hp 3cyl oil leak around shift shaft

len919

I am the new owner of a 30MSHR. I got it on my boat today and went to add oil to the gearbox and water came out. I drained it and pumped oil into it. After I buttoned it back up I noticed some oil seeping out of the small holes towards the front of the unit.
yamaha1.JPG

I took the lower unit off and discovered that when I pump oil into it, oil was coming up around the boot on the shift shaft.

There is a washer on the shift shaft that was riding too high, above a pin.
yamaha2.JPG

It should have been below it as seen on pictures of pn 6J8-44150-00-00. I remedied that and put it back together. No more oil seeping out of the holes in the front of the unit.

The boot just kind of pops into a hole. I am worried this is going to simply pop back out when I get into the water and start shifting.

The white bracket 682-44176-00-00 which sits above the boot has a screw in it like it is supposed to attach to something. Maybe it is to keep the boot seated in place? There is nothing do it to screw into, and the bracket is just sitting there doing nothing. It is actually currently screwed into the boot. It just doesn't look right.

Does anyone here have any experience w/ this 1993 2 stroke?

If not, I will throw it back together and test it in the driveway the best I can...

As a note, this is my first time working on a 2 stroke and I don't really know what I'm doing. haha. BUT I do know that the oil should be safely staying in the gearbox, and there shouldn't be water in it. :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Back