Logo

Mercruiser 5.7 Horizon MPI with closed cooling and pump to drain exhaust

markbabb

Contributing Member
I want to move this engine up to a dry exhaust system but I see the plumbing is different, the old risers are shot and I bought the new dry exhaust and risers. The only outflow went up through the exhaust and out the risers.
Here is what the end product should look like but I'm not sure how to reroute the hoses. Now no hoses go to the ports on the riser only to the bottom of the exhaust.

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/con...0076188-357-horizon-v-drive-reman-engine.jpeg

ANY THOUGHTS OR DIAGRAMS

Among the reasons for "wet " exhaust systems in boats is to avoid the very real fire and engine compartment high temp hazards of hot exhaust elbows and exhaust lines. To answer your direct question (against my better judgement) ..... all you have to do is plumb the hot water from the heat exchanger that now goes to the elbows, overboard... allow for a 40 to 50 gallon per min flow of 160 to 180 degree water.... and allow for the fact that the elbows will likely get hot enough to glow red.

The dry joint manifolds are more or less the same as the old style. The cooling water goes in the bottom of the manifold and up through the riser and elbow and out. Your only mod should be in whether the old hoses will make it to the new manifold inlets or if you need to get some Shields-Flex.
Explained here:
https://www.cpperformance.com/t-what_is_dry_joint_exhaust.aspx

I see I made a mistake in my terminology, I meant switching from the old style ( wet joint) exhaust to the new style (dry joint) which are explained in detail in the link/ Thanks for that link it is very helpful. As is depicted in the photo (my link)of the engine which is similar to mine, hoses enter the front and rear of the risers, my engine has no hoses going to the risers. The elbows are turned around to the rear on my engine, My question is, if I only replace the exhaust manifolds and risers and do not change any hose routing, the cooling water will enter the bottom of the manifolds and move up through the dry joints and exit the exhaust and then I will not have to change about the way the hoses are routed. Is this correct?

full or partial closed cooling??? With full, there is a special "blocking gasket" that isolates the manifold water flow from the elbows.Dry Joint Elbow.jpg
With the dry joint elbow, above, with raw or partial fresh cooling, sea water enters the elbow through the downward pointing "ears" on each side of the exhaust port. With full FWC, these ports are blocked and water enters the elbow through a hose to the side opposite the exhaust port. Be careful, the OEM elbows I bought had paint in the threads of the hole that the water line brass fitting is supposed to screw into.. This paint is very tough... Use a tap to "chase" the paint out. Attempting to use the fittings themselves to chase the paint out will likely trash the fittings.

Last edited:
Back