Logo

1985 18hp mercury no spark

JohnDeereJack

Hey guys I'm having trouble with a 18hp mercury 2 stroke, last year it ran great and when I took it out of storage this year now it has no spark, I've been testing all the electrical components and can't find one thats actually bad so I'm kinda stumped here. Here is my data I've collected. Coil 1 reads 915 ohms on a 2k scale, coil 2 reads 871 ohms on a 2k scale, the trigger reads 742 ohms on a 2k scale, and the stator reads 3.04 ohms on a 20k scale. Now testing for volts, I'm getting super high numbers from the stator and the trigger to the switch box, and im getting about 40v from the switch box to the coils, I'm struggling to get a reading from the coils to the plugs as I'm not 100% sure how to read the voltage going through the coils. Also I have tried connecting and disconnecting the kill switch throughout all of this to see if it makes a difference and it does not. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Welcome to the Forum. The switch boxes on these are often best tested through the process of elimination. I have had them go bad after a storage period. Make sure your trigger tests positive with the throttle in all positions. Could be a bad wire.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response, how would I test the trigger in multiple throttle locations, the gear selector on this motor is built into the tiller handle so when you twist the throttle it puts the engine in gear and makes it very difficult to pull over

Just test for continuity across your two wires, while you move through all throttle positions. Of course with motor at rest/not running/no power. I have seen where conductors inside the wire/wires, can separate. Mercury had some problems with poor wiring for many years. This is more evident in saltier environments, or hot/cold climates.

Last edited:
Back