Logo

Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke water leak

burkstar

Contributing Member
Hi all, hope you can help,
Just checking my motor over and noticed that water is leaking from just below the power head, and running out of the front small cover between the power head and the lower unit at the front.
It's not gushing out but its more than just a drip.
Motor is running fine, not over heating and tell tail looks good.

Bit lost as to where its coming from, how important or not the leak is and how to repair if necessary

Regards.

Not knowing what model/year motor you've got....and assuming water is accumulating in the lower cowling....sounds like a leaky head gasket, or possibly stat gasket if its dripping down powerhead. Share some photos or reply with more exact details.

Hi.

Its a 90hp 2 stoke 2000 AETO autolube.
I'm just trying to upload a short video or photo but struggling to do so, that would help a lot.

Is there a exhaust manifold gasket between the power head and lower bracket unit as there is water and exhaust gas coming out from the area just above the front small apron cover.

Last edited:
HH low.jpg
Hi.

Its a 90hp 2 stoke 2000 AETO autolube.
I'm just trying to upload a short video or photo but struggling to do so, that would help a lot.

Is there a exhaust manifold gasket between the power head and lower bracket unit as there is water and exhaust gas coming out from the area just above the front small apron cover.

There is a rubber seal between the apron and bottom cowling. Can't find schematic for AETO model but this is from '00 90hp...probably same part but I'm not 100%.
Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 8.19.28 PM.png

There is a rubber seal between the apron and bottom cowling. Can't find schematic for AETO model but this is from '00 90hp...probably same part but I'm not 100%.

Hi after further investigation the water appears to be coming from the drive shaft where the drive shaft enters the motor.

Is there a seal there and does that seal hold back water ?

Back