Logo

Motor swap question

Charlesstreet

Yamaha motor swap problem. I had an older Sylvan pontoon with a 2008 Four Stroke Yamaha 50hp (F50TLR) and Yamaha 703 side mount Remote Control throttle box. I bought a 2008 Bennington with a Four stroke 2009 Yamaha 9.9 (T9.9GPLR) with 704 Binnacle controls and swapped the motors but not the controls. The 50hp fired up and everything worked except the electric choke. The 9.9 does nothing! Power trim not working, turned ignition switch and nothing not even a click. Will the 9.9 not work with the 703 Controls?
I have done several engine swaps over the years and never had this problem. I did accidently touch the negative and positive terminals together before getting them hooked to the 9.9 so checked the fuses on the boat and they were fine. Took the next step and checked fuse on motor and its fine. Battery has a full charge? Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

A 2008 F50TLR does not use a choke. Should be fuel injected. It is all automatic. You can use the press to choke key function all day long and nothing will happen.

With respect to the T9.9GPLR it will work with a 703 control box. Seems that you have a power supply problem Start at the battery and go forward into the motor. From the motor up to the key switch on the control box.

Back