Logo

Replacing a points distributor for electronic

junior4597

Contributing Member
Asking the brain trust....

Looking to change out my older Mallory points distributor for a new electronic version. I know there are several options out there but I am specifically curious about the Davis Unified Ignition marine version. I have seen posts about other manufactures such as Pertronix and MSD but the DUI unit seems like a great option. I've read that there can be issues with the Pertronix unit and the MSD unit requires an additional ignition module making the overall cost above $800. The DUI unit seems to be "self-contained" meaning the coil is part of the unit and I can remove the ballast resistor. 1 wire set up, 2 with gray tach wire, but seems pretty simple. I also hear it is easy to time as well. Too good to be true?

Anyone install these units and have any feedback? They seem pretty pullet proof and the manufacturer has some longevity in the distributor business.

Thanks in advance to anyone's opinions!

everybody I know that has one is happy with them...

Only drawback I've heard of recently is lead time if you want a custom timing curve...and like most things, they have had a price increase as well..

Another option you could consider is the 'conversion module' to replace the points and condenser....Sadly, Mallory has been bought and sold several times in recent years and their 'new stuff' appears to have suffered much in the quality control department. I'd suggest having a good distributor shop verify the timing curve before sinking any more money into an original distributor first.

Points just work and are bullet proof too. Just sayin that there's no need to switch if the current distributor is working properly. A spare tune up kit is cheap insurance too. It is rare that points themselves are the cause of ignition failure at sea. It's usually the condensor. If you are switching to "avoid problems" or "reduce maintenance" it's just fluff. Your expense of the parts and labor to install is way more than the amortized cost of maintaining a points distributor over the years. But, if you are determined....

Ayuh,..... Look into the Delco EST ignition,....

Merc, 'n Volvo use it as oem on some of their motors,....
Quality stuff at reasonable prices,.....

Thanks Makomark

I've tried the conversion kits and they are not compatible with the model distributor I have, it was in the fine print on the Pertronix installation instructions. I think I can find the advance curve chart to find out the ideal setting but I'll also need to find out what they come set with out of the box first. The old distributors have to go as the components are failing - just looking for the best option to install.

Thanks!

o2batsea

I agree with your comments but unfortunately these distributors have hit their limits. The grounding grommets are brittle and broken apart and the aftermarket parts are just not reliable. The Mallory points setup are junk, broke 2 brings just weeks after install and the only ones I like are from Standard Ignition but hard to find. It's just time and the cost is nominal to ensure a well operating ignition system. My only question would be with unit is best and most reliable to install.

Thanks for your input!

Back