Logo

Bravo III Stuck in Forward - but starting and driving fine?

Mike Kane

MY 98 Chaparral is STUCK IN FORWARD - it happened mid season last year. I went to slow down, and noticed we were still in Forward Gear. Oddly, the boat will start right up (QuickSiler 3000, has to be in "neutral" even though it's actually IN GEAR) and drive and perform perfectly (assuming you don't need neutral or reverse!) I can pull into my slip by shutting the motor off and on as needed. It will idle in, but is IN FORWARD GEAR. Shifter is easy to move - everything "Feels" fine. I opened the back of the outdrive, cable is connected to the shift arm, and it has some range of motion, just not enough to engage Neutral or Reverse.
Has anyone heard of, or had this issue?
thank you!
mike

I agree with Chris,
Not knowing any history on your drive, and seeing it is a 1998, there are several updates/upgrades to Bravo 1.

Your shift system needs hands on review as does the upper gear case shifting components including the cone clutch assembly.

I agree with Chris,
Not knowing any history on your drive, and seeing it is a 1998, there are several updates/upgrades to Bravo 1.

Your shift system needs hands on review as does the upper gear case shifting components including the cone clutch assembly.

Thanks all, appreciate the replies. I'm going to start with a new lower shift cable and see where we go from there.

Personally ( and maybe it's because I'm passionate about being "cost effective") I've never been a fan of "swap it until it's fixed" approach to maintenance. If it were my boat, I'd start at the helm control and see if the movement of the cable relative to the outer sheath is correct and work my way back to the drive.

I will start with the control box, prior to making any purchases. I’ll check the clearances, etc. very much appropriate your reply! Thank you

Back