Logo

Johnson 40hp 1973 to 1976 ??????????

steelj23

I have purchased an old Johnson 40hp to rebuild last summer. It has no model & serial number plate. From investigation I had pretty much determined it was a 1976 Remote & electric starter model. So a 40E76. Short shaft.

I have kept a log of the parts I buy and replace but recently I wanted to replace my water pump impeller and I used the parts manual to do so and it does not fit. It is the same impeller but the center hole and keyway are just a couple of thousands inches too small.

My actual impeller is in good condition so I can use it for now, but now I am thinking my engine is a different year? 1973, 74, 77. I don't know.

Some parts fit all of them, some don't.

My driveshaft is 11/16th.

If anybody could help me. I'am using Boats.net and also Crowleymarine.com sites for parts diagram.

I don't have any plates with factory numbers. Before 1980 Johnson / Evinrude did not manage model numbers very well.

Post picture of cowling if original graphics.-----Just started working on a 74 model and yes they put a bigger diameter driveshaft in them----Look into getting a complete kit from say a 1984 model " commercial " motor.----They were much better with model numbers in the past !!----At least they used a metal tag in the old days !!

The web site https://outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/ lists a impeller model 18-3366 from Sierra, but also a second one, OMC 386165, called "1972-1985 THICKER DRIVESHAFT 17MM" and they quote :

If Impeller 386165 is no available, replace with complete re-designed water pump kit OMC 391741 or Sierra 18-3389. The entire kit will be less expensive than the obsolete 386165 impellers!

This kit says it fits 1979 to 1994 , 60hp to 75HP.
Are you confident this will fit my 1975?

Is this the ticker shaft you mentionned? Because 17mm is 11/16th.

No that will NOT FIT !!------Look for a kit for say the 1984 " commercial " model 40 HP.----My dealer is getting me the Sierra impeller for my 1974 model

Contact----evinrudeparts.ca----They will help you.----Free shipping on certain orders.

Last edited:
I have another question. I know its not the right thread for this but while you know my engine type... I have removed the lower unit to service the gearcase and pump but the driveshaft stayed on the motor.

Now I have worked on different engines in the past and the driveshaft usually comes with the lower unit.

So, on this model is the shaft retained in the powerhead by design or should it come out easily? I pulled on it a bit but it seems pretty set inside there.

Is there a connecting system that I have to release somewhere?

The one I worked on for the grandson had the driveshaft come right out attached to the lower unit.----It is not supposed to stay in the powerhead.---There is no retainer that holds it in the crankshaft !------What I do is make adapters to use a slide hammer to pull it out.----------evinrudeparts.ca ------Can help you with parts.

Back