Logo

Side Panels

Have a 1993 Monterey 190 SCR That I'm replacing some bad bulkheads and flooring. Would like to remove side panels so I can replace carpet. Anyone know how the side panels are attached?

In most cases those simply pop off after you remove any impeding hardware. It makes me sad to see this kind of construction where they rely on the rigidity of the foam to be the main structural component. I mean you, Boston Whaler! Those bulkheads don't even appear to have so much as a lick of resin let alone be encapsulated and firmly tabbed to the hull. Now that you have pulled out the foam there's literally nothing left holding this boat together.
Stringers and bulkheads rely on the glass and resin for their structural strength. The wood or whatever (foam, cardboard, Coosa, etc) are simply forms over which the glass roving and resin are laid. Since wood is cheap, plentiful and easy to work, it gets the nod. It is hoped that these are completely encapsulated so that they don't become waterlogged or rot over time (go look at a Bertram)
I would probably quit right there and throw in the towel on a hull that in my opinion isn't worth fooling with but it's your life not mine. If you go forward, take the time to do a proper job of it and not just those BHs but the entire inner structure should be pulled out and redone. You can use those rotten parts as templates for new material.

Last edited:
Back