Logo

gimbal bearing install problem

kingsfisherman

Contributing Member
Hello All,

I am installing a new gimbal bearing and have encountered some resistance installing it. I figured it is due to not checking the engine alignment prior to pulling the old gimbal out. I also read in the service manual to "make sure the gimbal bearing is properly aligned" prior to adjusting the engine mounts I assume that's referring to making sure the bearing is seated correctly? Also I'm thinking I will need to adjust my engine alignment and then check the bearing if it's seated properly, sound right?

hey you all, don't worry about reaching out to help , I see there's at least 20 people who looked but never had a problem installing a gimbal bearing. Anyways I figured out that my gimbal bearing wasn't pivoting and after I gave it a good whack it started moving around. Then it was just some adjusting of the front mounts and wah lah I have great alignment.
I watched a video that showed how the gimbal pivots and I realized mine wasn't doing that so I decided to make it move and it did.

Only the "new design" Volvo drives have gimbal bearings so a fair number of folks have no knowledge of your issue but read your post anyway. And as you opined, none of the 20 folks who did look at your post may have had any issues replacing it....... if they even had a gimbal bearing drive at all. Do a search for gimbal bearing replacement issues on THIS forum and see how common that problem is.... and what others did.

Back