Logo

AQ130C and stuck oil filter

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
As part of my spring maintenance after the boat being not used since early October 2021, I was going to change the oil and filter. However, the oil filter is not coming off. I have tried a standard oil filter strap type wrench as well as two different flute cap style wrenches that you use with a socket ratchet. In desperation, I drilled a hole though the filter and then stuck a very large screwdriver through the filter to try and get better leverage, but the filter did not budge with the screwdriver shaft tearing through the filter body as I applied leverage.

Coincidentally, the oil I drained out of the engine was milky. Although I have no way of proving this, I suspect this is due to excess water pressure from a garden hose being applied to the intake side of the engine mounted water pump by a mechanic who I had look at and fix an issue with my alternator (the boat was trailered at the time). The engine had not been run since he ran it except just yesterday when I ran the engine to warm up the oil before draining it. Before I ran the engine, I checked the oil at the dipstick and it did appear to be a little lighter in color than it normally is, but it's also hard to tell the condition of the oil from the dipstick when the engine has been idle for 5 months. I am almost 100% certain that the oil was fine when I took the boat to him as I always check the oil after every outing.

is it possible that the oil filter's threads have rusted onto the threaded spindle on the engine block? Any suggestions how to go about removing the filter given that the methods I have already tried did not work?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thats unlikely, in most cases its because someone used a wrench to tighten the filter instead of "hand tight"
option is to try and heat the area with a torch to soften the rubber O ring or remove it with an air chisel

Thanks. I've been changing the oil and filter on this boat for the past 20 years and there is no way I tightened it so much that I am having this problem.

Update: A friend was able to muscle the filter off using a very large pipe wrench. No signs of rust anywhere.

This happened to me years ago on my AQ110.... Method is a 2 person job...

Get about 10 ft of 3/8 dock line. Tie about 1 ft of broom handle ( or big screwdriver) on one end as a handle (two handed). Wrap line around filter 2 to 4 times so that when you pull on handle it un screws filter. Person #1 arranges themself so they have a good pull on handle, preferably with feet braced on something solid. Person #2 holds loose end of line as it exits the filter and keeps a slight amount of pull on line, just enough so that the line grips the filter and does not slip. It takes a few tries to get the #1 and #2 person pulling coordinated, but when you do get it right, person #1 can exert a tremendous amount of rotational force. Person #2 has to feed line towards #1 carefully to maintain grip on filter and to allow #1 to rotate the filter. Line wrap around filter should be so that line to #1 exits filter nearest threads, and #2 exits towards the top. Clean any oil /grease off filter canister first.

Don't be tempted to do this alone...I've tried... It's a 3 handed job for someone with a 10 ft arm span..

Last edited:
Another suggestion, if you use a strap wrench, take a piece of medium sand paper and fold it so the rough side is out on both sides, then slide it between the strap & filter, that gives the strap enough traction to turn the filter. If you use cap wrenches they must fit tight, I have a drawer full of them and tend to use either the Merc/Quicksilver filter or Sierra because I have cap wrenches that fit both perfectly.
Oil the rubber gasket, tighten 3/4 turn past the point where the gasket makes contact, or hand tight.....never crank on it with a tool.

Back