Logo

Justmeabe

Justmeabe

115 mariner outboard had loose screw on fuel pump ran rough until it died. Tightened loose screw on fuel pump. Now engine won't start. Checked after fuel filter and am getting gas. Any suggestions?

If you are talking about the OEM fuel pump in the engine, the squeeze bulb bypasses the function of the pump to test whether or not the problem is fuel starvation. To see if your engine is getting fuel, open a fuel line downwind of the fuel pump preferably at a carburetor inlet and squeeze the bulb to pump fuel with a fuel line loose check for fuel flow running on the starter.

Thank you Texasmark. Got the gas flowing. OriginallyI had about 1/2 tank of about 5 month old gas and filled the rest with new gas. Now the motor starts but have to have full throttle to start and won’t idle below 2000 rpm’s. If I have bad gas can I add something like Heet and should that get it going or do I have to remove all gas and add new? Thank you

Thank you Texasmark. Got the gas flowing. OriginallyI had about 1/2 tank of about 5 month old gas and filled the rest with new gas. Now the motor starts but have to have full throttle to start and won’t idle below 2000 rpm’s. If I have bad gas can I add something like Heet and should that get it going or do I have to remove all gas and add new? Thank you

My readings, posted by others are that you can't rejuvenate old gas. My experiences with gasoline is that you have to eliminate bad gas as a potential cause of a fuel related problem BEFORE you get out the wrenches and replacement parts..can't overemphasize that!!!!! Just this week I had what I thought was new gas I buy from only one reliable supplier, kept in sealed 2 gallon plastic containers, in a V twin mower and after I gassed it up, previously running fine, it started missing. Had to be the gas......replaced it and mower went back to running fine.

Thanks for the advise. I replaced the gas line with the primer ball and used gas from a different tank and still same problem (guess that eliminates gas). Unhooked gas line after fuel filter and cranked see gas shooting out. Did a compression test on all 4 cylinders and reads 135-140 cold. I had installed all new plugs towards the start of the problem since I had found two that were bad. No change. While doing the compression test I see the two bottom spark plugs show electrodes that had been used the two top look brand new (no type of color change). Any thoughts on how to proceed?
Thank you.

I had an engine do this and the cause was the choke staying on. Actually washing the top two plugs clean not firing those cylinders either. Bottom plugs had carbon, but just halfway across the plug. With the plugs out see if you get a mist of gas coming out of the top two cylinders when cranking it over. Might not be your problem. However, easy to check. Choke solenoid will be hot too if its stuck on.

Thanks for the advise. I replaced the gas line with the primer ball and used gas from a different tank and still same problem (guess that eliminates gas). Unhooked gas line after fuel filter and cranked see gas shooting out. Did a compression test on all 4 cylinders and reads 135-140 cold. I had installed all new plugs towards the start of the problem since I had found two that were bad. No change. While doing the compression test I see the two bottom spark plugs show electrodes that had been used the two top look brand new (no type of color change). Any thoughts on how to proceed?
Thank you.

The 2+2 runs on the top two always. The bottom two get bathed in fuel oil mixture until around 1800-2000 RPM where the fuel oil mixture volume is sufficient to cause combustion and they come to life.....yeah right ....as the design intended.....not always the case. You do a lot of putting around below the kick in RPMs and expect fouling. As an owner I know the ropes!!!!!

Huh. Never heard of the 2+2 until now. Does it have the low and high speed coils in the stator too? The engine I had problems with was obviously not a 2+2. Sorry about that.

What motor do you have? 3/4 or 6 cylinder and what year? You should not be fouling out plugs from trolling. My 125 2+2 had hundreds of hours of trolling and never fouled plugs.

Last edited:
What motor do you have? 3/4 or 6 cylinder and what year? You should not be fouling out plugs from trolling. My 125 2+2 had hundreds of hours of trolling and never fouled plugs.

Absolutely mind boggling. I guess Christopher Columbus was lucky that the world was a sphere!

Absolutely mind boggling. I guess Christopher Columbus was lucky that the world was a sphere!
Huh what are you talking about? Well his trip probably would have taken 3 times longer if he had your 115 2+2 motor. And 1/2 his crew probably would have died because the food storage would have been taken up by spare sparkplugs��

Last edited:
Huh what are you talking about? Well his trip probably would have taken 3 times longer if he had your 115 2+2 motor. And 1/2 his crew probably would have died because the food storage would have been taken up by spare sparkplugs��

LMAO. Great reply.

Not on the water yet. No spark to top two spark plugs. Can you tell me how to check if the stator, triger, ignition box is bad? Motor is a 1990 115 mariner 4 stroke outboard.
Spark plugs, wires and coils are all new. Motor will start but have to keep throttled up to over 2000 rpms and misfires like crazy, soon as I throttle to about 2000 rpm it dies out.
Thanks

Back