Logo

1999 150HP Merc ~ forward not working after service

IntheVille

Hello! I have been a long time reader but I am a new registered member hoping for some advice.

I pulled my perfectly running pontoon out at the end of season and took it to a certified Merc service place to have the 300 hour service done. I tried to launch on Thursday (74 degrees in Michigan!) and I cannot get it into forward. Reverse works but it makes a grinding noise going into that gear. Pushing the throttle into drive meets with great resistance and I don't want to force it any harder.

The service included the water pump so they had to drop the lower unit. Other than that, it was just belts, filters etc.

I am pretty handy with my tools but I'm not a mechanic by any stretch. I am wondering if anyone can suggest some diagnostics I can do to find the root cause. If it's just a matter of making linkage adjustments I can handle that type of stuff but finding out why it is doing this would be a great start.

The Merc shop is backed up and short handed and can't even look at it for 2-3 weeks. I figure if I can diagnose the issue then I may be able to get her shifting correctly myself but I am not going to drop the lower unit on my own. Hoping it's something much simpler and obvious.

Sounds like they didn't get the linkage setup properly before reinserting the LU. To each his own, but I like to use N. Prior to reinstalling the LU, I go to the control box, put it in N and rock the lever back and forth slightly to ensure that I have it centered in N.

With the LU in a vise on the work bench, I grasp the shifter splined stub with vise grips and the DRIVE shaft with VGs also. I rotate the driveshaft CW, lookind down from the top while rotating the shifter stub through the 3 gears while watching the PROP shaft. Prior to reinstallation, I ensure myself that rotating the stub through the 3 gears gives me the desired result. I then shift to N and slightly rock the shifter stub ensuring that I am centered in N. Then install.

I choose N because I know I am in the mid position of the shifter cam, no doubting it. I realize that upon reinsertion, I may have to turn the flywheel (not the prop as would be the case for those folks liking F gear as the setup gear since the prop is convenient for a one person installation) to get the drive shaft to line up with the female spline of the crankshaft but that works for me.

Last edited:
Back