Logo

1985 Yamaha 40 HP ETLK low power output

Cbundren

I have a 1985 Yamaha 40 HP ETLK that I took out for the first time of the season today.

When prepping the boat the other day it fired right up, today at the lake and also fired right up. It has a smooth idle, and it will neutral rev just fine. When I put it in the gear it seems normal but when I push the throttle all the way forward it seems like it's only running at about 15% power. It doesn't cut in and out, and it doesn't randomly gain power and then stop. The entire time I was out today it was very underpowered. I had no issues with this motor last year and it ran very strong, actually it surprised me how powerful it was as last year was the first year I owned it.

Trying to figure out what's going on maybe somebody can help me. At first I thought maybe it was sucking air but if an engine is sucking air doesn't usually sputter and cut in and out? Perhaps one of the carburetors is clogged. Any help will be appreciated

I’m actually having the same issue with an ‘08. Many online seem to think a re-jetting of the main jet does the trick. They suggest replacing the main jet from the 40hp with that of the 25 of same year. Not sure I’m buying into that but the feedback appears to be universally good…

Back