Logo

290 swap into my Bayliner

Huggyb1972

Hello I'm getting ready to dive into this thing and get the 85' 280 replaced with a suitable 290.

So 1st off what I have is a 85 21ft Bayliner Capri cuddy powered by a AQ225D and a AQ280 outdrive. I'm currently refitting the interior and replacing some structure that needs some help.

I acquired a 90 imperial with a AQ131D and a AQ290 SP with trim that I would like to pick the outdrive from and install on the Bayliner. The imperial was a abandoned boat at a yard and is without proper paperwork .

Is this outdrive good candidate for this swap?

My 225 runs fine the 280 is okay it has a little more than a little road rash from the lift not working properly (my guess) and has a very nice stainless propeller. I could probably live without trim but for a little labor and the cost of a $400 donor boat I'd like to make this work. Especially for my little trip to SC for some fishing this year.

Don't know much about the 131 and 290 at the moment but they appear mechanically complete and ready for service with normal maintenance.

If this doesn't look like the right one I can harvest what I need for my other boat and make this baby someone else's tub or parts whichever

Last edited:
The 131 and 225 engines ( a 4 cylinder vs V8) REQUIRE different drive reduction ratios, so no ,not a good candidate. "Reduction" in a Volvo drive occurs in the lowest 1/3 of the leg.

I don't know how "road rash" happened, however one NEVER relies on the lift to keep the drive up while trailering... And there is NOTHING to prevent lifting the drive by hand if the lift motor does not work.There is (or was) a bracket for trailering furnished when boat was new.. Failing that, tie the drive up to the stern cleats ( or equal sturdy points ) and put a hunk of 2x4 between the drive itself and the transom shield...let lift back down until weight of drive locks 2x4 in place. Lash to cleats. If you trailer frequently, buy the bracket.... available on ebay.

The 131 and 225 engines ( a 4 cylinder vs V8) REQUIRE different drive reduction ratios, so no ,not a good candidate. "Reduction" in a Volvo drive occurs in the lowest 1/3 of the leg.

I don't know how "road rash" happened, however one NEVER relies on the lift to keep the drive up while trailering... And there is NOTHING to prevent lifting the drive by hand if the lift motor does not work.There is (or was) a bracket for trailering furnished when boat was new.. Failing that, tie the drive up to the stern cleats ( or equal sturdy points ) and put a hunk of 2x4 between the drive itself and the transom shield...let lift back down until weight of drive locks 2x4 in place. Lash to cleats. If you trailer frequently, buy the bracket.... available on ebay.

Yeah I saw the bracket thing while doing the old search the internet for parts thing. I could probably fabricate it pretty easy.

What kind of a job is it to make the gear ratio I need or could I simply prop up to get back in the right range? I don't need a rocket ship but being able to get the motor up for a sand bar or shallows would be very useful in this barge.

Any one got thoughts on what kind of speed the AQ131 would be capable of in a 20' cuddy like that imperial? I'm almost inclined to run 4 the 131 in place of the 225 just for fuel savings. It's not like I've got anywhere to get in a hurry.

As far as using the V8, if the bottom 1/3 is the big hang up gear ratio wise, could I just change that part pretty easy? Will the bottom 1/3 of the 280 fix the problem?

If it were possible to "prop up" to resolve I4 vs V8 issues, Volvo ( and Merc for that matter) would never invest the $$$$ to tool for different drive ratios. Once in a while, you can do a 6 vs a V8 by prop only, but not I4 to V8. Check and see if Bayliner sold that boat with a 131. Also swapping an I4 for a V8 involve may involve some internal mods to the hull.

I went from a 283 CID @ 185 HP to a 5.7L @ 260HP and my cruise fuel consumption dropped from 10+GPH to 7.5 GPH with a 5 MPH increase in speed on my current boat. Both engines had carbs.

Yes, it's just the bottom 1/3. Swapping the whole bottom 1/3 is easy, but I thought you had "road rash issues" ??? Swapping the internals is less easy.

Last edited:
The road rash is merely superficial if I really wanted to fix it I could weld what little is missing back. There's no big voodoo there in that

So what are you saying put the 280 bottom 1/3 in the 290? I was wondering if that was possible.

I'm don't know what the 280 gear ratio is the 290 says 2:15.

Volvo I4 ratio is 2.15, while the V8 ratio is 1.66, i.e., 2.15:1 and 1.66:1 respectively.

The 280 is definitely not a 1.66 I did the old turn the input shaft and watch the output shaft thing and I was just short a 1/4 turn of making 2 full revolutions. This is only a 305 chevy.

Back