Logo

Post raw water cooling pump filter?

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
Has anyone ever installed a filter of some kind after the water pump on a raw water cooled engine? The impeller in my water pump for my AQ130C engine failed a few years ago and I had to remove the oil cooler and the cooling tube leading to the cooler to find the broken impeller pieces, and then put it all back together, replacing seals. Seems a filter after the pump would be a good idea to avoid doing all that and could be easily checked for blockage as a normal maintenance item. Or would the flow out of the pump and eventually to the engine be adversely affected? Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

Back when I had a Volvo 4 banger, it was so easy to change the impeller, I just did it every year. Since the "old" impeller was usually in almost mint condition, I'd keep it as an onboard spare in case I ran a sand bar..

Last edited:
Yea, I do have to admit that the impeller that failed was 3 seasons old. I should have known better. Since then, I have changed the impeller every spring regardless of condition.

Back