Logo

Basic Basic Simple

hatcon

Bought 1991 Johnson 6hp. Can't figure how to tilt motor--and other stuff that basic. Owner's manuals don't exist I guess and Repair manuals are over my head. How do I learn which lever do what, how to shift gears, etc.?
Anyone's help appreciated.

I believe there is a knob below the cowling.----Look for it while looking at the motor from front.----On the left side.----You turn that knob so motor can be tilted..

I can find no knob. Is it ok to operate the boat with the tilt pin removed altogether? At least that would allow the motor to tilt instead of ripping my whole transom out. With that pin in, the motor is locked in the down position. When I want to tilt it up out of water, I have to work the tilt pin out of its holes. Surely, that shouldn't be necessary. Anyone who can help?

Model # of your motor ? ----Find the parts schematic online.-----It is item #39 on the midsection parts page !!!----------I tried to help.------Post some pictures of your motor with some of the knobs numbered.----Then we can tell you which number.----Or maybe the knob is broken or the linkages have been abused by a previous owner.-----All simple in my opinion.

Back