Logo

Tohatsu 5 rubber prop bushing won't hold.

Mk2253

I've hardly used the 4 stroke Tohatsu 5 in the two years I've owned it and at first I thought maybe I hit something. I've gone through 4 props and I'm sure, after the last one that normal acceleration spins out the rubber bushing, and I have to limp home. Any solution? I'm ready to put set screws right through the rubber, but there must be something better.

If you shift into gear at high speeds, you can damage the hub. Normal thrust will not damage it. Only a collision or dry rot will.

How high is the transom ?----Short shaft motor on a 20" transom ??-----I do not believe you can have 4 bad props !!

I've hardly used the 4 stroke Tohatsu 5 in the two years I've owned it and at first I thought maybe I hit something. I've gone through 4 props and I'm sure, after the last one that normal acceleration spins out the rubber bushing, and I have to limp home. Any solution? I'm ready to put set screws right through the rubber, but there must be something better.

It is short shaft. I don't think I would get 4 bad props. Maybe there is a prop with a tougher bushing. I'm not sure what slaming it into gear at high rpms would do, but I have a feeling the wimpy prop bushing would not be the damage.

It is short shaft. I don't think I would get 4 bad props. Maybe there is a prop with a tougher bushing. I'm not sure what slaming it into gear at high rpms would do, but I have a feeling the wimpy prop bushing would not be the damage.

The transom is 17 inches.

What happens if you take the motor to a shop and test it in say a 200 gallon outboard motor test tank?---Or a friends boat with a 15" transom ?--Or lower your transom by 2 " or so.

Back