Logo

fuel leaking from exhaust

clutchrod

2000 Tohatsu M40D2 2 stroke .I cleaned carbs and put new needle valves and new diaphragm in fuel pump. I pump the bubble and it takes choking it to get it to start and runs like crap.I removed the plugs and all three are satuated with fuel. are the check valves in the fuel pump suppose to be pressed against the pump housing. Im wondering if that is where my fuel is getting by. Also why does the tohatsu parts site dont list a 2000 tohatsu M40D2. Thanks in advance

Of course, to work, the check valves need to be in contact with the pump housing. However, float height will determine such things as flooding or too lean. I have parts catalogs for the 40D2 until 2003. Clearly tyour carbs are not setup correctly. Maybe you need to get a local carb guy to help you.

Thanks for the reply. The floats in these carbs and plastic and not adjustable. Can you give me some insight on the correct way to set my carbs up. I worked on small engines (commercial lawnmowers) for 30 years and a few marine engines but this one has gave me a fit.

Back