Logo

Confused yet again

Mikk Wardwell

I purchased a 1989 Johnson 88hp with no prop. The previous owner said he couldn’t find a prop to fit it and I’m having the same issue. Problem being that it has a 15 tooth spline with squared teeth. It’s supposed to have, I believe, 12 spline with beveled teeth. Can anyone tell me why this may be? Also, will a prop from almost any band outboard with the same size shaft work? What do I look for, as in what type of prop has the squared teeth? Or would I be better off replacing the shaft, as I have a blown Johnson 115hp and many parts are interchangeable? Thank you in advance and happy boating!

Some shops are not well versed on customer service for older motors.-----Most any shop would know that for those model years the exhaust housing for a V-4 and V-6 is the same part #.------In fact some " commercial " models of the V-4 use the V-6 gearcase.

Look for the ---100W----Models for many years including 1989 as I believe they used the V-6 lower units.-----V-6 propellers are listed for those lower units.----15" and 15 1/2"diameters 15 spline.----You just need to determine the pitch depending on the boat / load you are pushing !----What boat do you have ?

Last edited:
Darn, Racer....all your help for free. You have become the backbone of the forum....especially since Joe retired.
Mikk, make sure you get the right prop for your boat and operating style, but it's probably too late now.

Last edited:
Actually not too late. Thought I had an epiphany a few weeks ago, but it ended up being a dud. Was hoping I could use the lower unit and prop off my blown 115hp on my new/used 88hp. Nope. 1975 lower won’t jive with a 1989. But 1 good thing came of it. I found that the water pump impeller on the 88hp was shot and that the screws holding it in were 1/2 tightened. May very well have been a catastrophe if I’d simply thrown a prop on it and takin it out for sea trials. Now I’m gonna go all over the motor, top to bottom, and look for any more surprises. One more question, tho; are all 15 spline Johnson’s the same? As in, the teeth are squared and not tapered. I’ve looked online a little but can’t really find the answer. Thank you, yet again, for all of your help.

The motor didn’t come with a prop, hence my problem. It came without a starter, solenoid or a prop. And I just found out it needs a new water pump kit. It’s also an 88hp with a 115hp cowling and, from what I’ve been told, a lower unit off a V6….which is why it was a 15 spline shaft instead of a 13? It is in good shape, otherwise, tho. I did start it up for literally a few seconds. Has good compression and the power tilt/trim is immaculate.

I have a 15’, 1964, Ouchita ?, fiberglass tri hull. I primarily use WOT to go to and from fishing spots….once I get where I’m going I generally use my electric troller….but a few times throughout the summer I take my kids tubing. Probably, all totaled, I spend 5-6 hrs a year tubing. The other 200-300hrs are spent fishing.

Back