Logo

Is this too old?

Markap

Hi I’m looking at a 2000 Chaparral 196 SSI with 1650 hours on its MerCruiser 5.0 EFO 240hp engine. 2nd owner says it has new water pump, prop and belt and out drive has been serviced. What else should I be concerned about assuming regular maintenance. I do plan to get a survey and have compression checked etc.

I understand that overhauls should be done at 1500 hours - what does that include and would a compression check be sufficient to identify issues (of course look for water in oil etc)

Does engine have a heat exchanger or is it raw water cooled? .... did the boat spend its life in salt or fresh water?

on the engine, a leakdown test is usually a better assessment tool than a compression test.

At 1600+ hours, it is reasonable to conclude the engine is close to the end of its service life...especially if there isn't a detailed maintenance history...

I’m still getting that info. I suspect at least brackish water

Measure compression and oil pressure

new compression is around 150, when it gets below 125 or so you are considered worn. Oil pressure hot you need around 10 psi per 1000 rpm of engine speed.

If well maintained it is likely ok, if not maintained they get killed way earlier. My boat was ruined at 37 hrs by previous owners lack of maint...

Even if it does need a rebuild still may be viable option vs paying current prices/lack of inventory as long as rest of boat is in good shape.

Think of it sorta like this...if it was a car engine, 1600 hours is like driving at 40 miles an hour up hill towing a trailer. That's about what, 64,000 miles rough equivalent? Assuming normal care (oil changes, winterizing) this engine should give you plenty more service. When it starts to burn more oil than gas, it's time for replacement ha ha ha.

Back