Logo

'98' 130HP Faria gauge system check alarm question

JWMonnier

Greetings from the North Coast and thanks for your time and wisdom

'98"130 HP sounding a long 10 second or so alarm and indicating no oil shortly after start up. I have run the VRO oil consumption test, replaced the Faria gauge, Oil res is full. I don't wanna eliminate the VRO and I definitely don't wanna replace the VRO and it end up not being the problem. Is there a definitive way to narrow down if its the VRO itself or something else.

Checked the oil filter in the tank?------Have you cleaned the oil tank?-----Mix at 50:1 until you resolve the issue.----

Progress...
Needed to fabricate my own bracket for uptake tube on fuel tank, it was terrible and leaking fumes, three different metals were used and the galvanic corrosion was insane, the sending unit was also a disaster and giving erratic readings so all new and squared away fuel tank bits.
Removed and cleaned oil reservoir and there was some funk in there, something white and not oil sludged off the bottom of the filter upon removal and there seemed to be a small amount water in the the last bit of oil I removed. New filter purchased and installed. New Faria gauge installed and now I have a functioning tach yay!

Next boat work day I will install new impeller , purge all air from fuel/oil sys, and see if system check still throws no oil light/alarm.

Progress....
Decided to refurbish all electrical, gauges, switches, etc to eliminate any problems that existed in that old wiring harness and those dilapidated gauges and switches. Fabricated new dash, replaced all gauges except for the MPH gauge which I eliminated from panel. replaced batt switch and all batt cables, new batts. everything is new, dash looks and functions great. Still need to install new impeller cause I got sidetracked in the wiring rabbit hole.

It was definitely the fuel/oil pump, I suspect the no oil sensor went bad, in any case I installed a new one (not a cheap fake, the real one) and fixed the problem. Weird thing is now my brand new tach is acting strange, I believe the rpm is correct when it is working but it will get jittery and then stop working. Not sure how installing a new VRO pump would cause this but it was working fine before new install.

racerone, I have effectively cleaned, replaced, or fixed everything up to the VRO pump and have installed new impeller and VRO pump, your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Short in port nav light was the tachs problem, works great now. This 1998 130 Evinrude is a BEAST, love it, runs excellent now that it has had the proper TLC. Thanks for all the great advice and knowledge!

Back