Logo

1977 Johnson Seahorse Model 4BR77B

BMJ

My outboard model is 4BR77B Serial No. B48770. It appears the BR refers to "Euro Rope Start". The last B it appears refers to it being assembled in Belgium, and Bruges Belgium is stamped on the badge. I am trying to get some parts, and was assuming I could use the Marine Engine website diagrams and part numbers for the 4R77B. However, I have noticed some differences between my engine and the 4R77B diagrams. Can anyone indicate where I might find diagrams/ parts numbers for the 4BR77B?

Reasonably happy water pump kit is same as in 4R77B, but removed exhaust shaft housing from underside of engine to access/ check/ clean top of water pipe. Shape of housing/ gasket there looks different to one in 4R77B. Also wish to clean water path around engine head/ crankcase, but slow to open up further, until I am happy I can identify/ source parts (gaskets etc ).

Last edited:
Fact -----As stated they used the same midsection for the 4.5 / 6 / 8 HP models.-----The difference being the adapter under the 4,5 HP power head to mate the parts.----So without pictures and can not be of further assistance to you.

Apologies. I do appreciate your input. I thought I had attached the photos, but they may have beenTop Mid Section Gasket 1.jpgTop Mid Section 1.jpg too large. I have downsized and hopefully attached this time. This is top of the mid section and the relevant gasket. Please let me know if any other photos would be helpful.

Last edited:
Ignore post #4 ----I got mixed up with another thread.-----Look at the parts for a 1981 model 4 HP.----See how they compare with your motor.-----Any more pictures of recoil starter / lower unit / engine block ?----Does your motor have a forward / neutral shift lever ?

Last edited:
Thanks again for prompt response. I will get some more photos. In the meantime, my engine has a side-to-side throttle lever on the front of the cover with very useful graphics of the throttle settings; start at lowest throttle lever setting, but always in gear. No gear lever or neutral or reverse. Simple steering handle on side of engine which rotates engine through 180° to reverse. Will revert with photos later.

Identity plate and disk model and serial numbers same. Also included photo of front cover - throttle full left to stop, middle to start and full right for fast drive. BTW - Integral fuel (50:1 two stroke) tank.

4BR77B Identity Plate.jpg4BR77B Identity Disk.jpg4BR77B Front Cover Throttle Lever Stop-Start-Fast (Left-Middle-Right).jpg

I may have found a gasket for the top of the exhaust housing. Part No. 203160 described as 'Powerhead Adaptor Gasket' or 'Powerhead Base Gasket' appears to be the same configuration as on my 4BR77B. I have seen it listed for vintage (pre-1960) 3hp Johnson Evinrude Outboards, and in particular on Marine Engine website for the 1963 Johnson 3 hp JW-18 Outboard Motor. My best bet it appears is to order this part and offer it up to my engine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-02-19-23-16-10-369_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-02-19-23-16-10-369_com.android.chrome.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 23
Back