Logo

2x6v92 black smoke 1100 to 1500 after ohaul and conv from twin dry to single wet turbo Bertram 42

Lionheart

Hi new to forum and having severe black smoke , I mean so thick you can’t see your nose.
Conv was made from twin air research t04 a/r.96 and 9225 injectors to get away from the heat , had no smoking at all, engines would go to 1100+- pause briefly and then would take off out the hole like a speedboat.
Both engines overhauled ,pistons ,liners,heads,blowers,fuel pumps, oil coolers,aftercoolers,oil coolers,risers,wet single turbos,7125 injectors,wet exh man’s, upgrade to 550 wet turbo config .blower drive gear changed to spin blower faster in an attempt to fix smoke done after but made very small difference.
vessel aft tank below 1/4 gear unloaded as vessel is up for sale , so not heavy in that respect, bottom and underwater gear clean.
the smoke starts abruptly and thick at around 1100 which is at the point where the rack meets the modulator, from there it is putrid black , the rpm literally crawls up with the turbos appearing to be not responding until around 1500 when you can then hear them spool up,most but not all of the smoke then disappearing and rpm going to 2300.props are 26.5x 27
if the throttles are eased up very very slowly and incrementally from when the black smoke just appears and you wait for the rpm to ease up It can reduce the black smoke, but it is a very slow process. There is a Bertram 43 here with the same engines and similar prop size 27x 27but with 145 injs. And no smoke
anyone have any suggestions.
anyone have the inj height setting and modulator/inj rack setting
or better still anyone have the same boat Eng combination??
at wits end after spending a lot to do the above and trying to sell .

Are you running bypass blowers? Were the blower bypass springs replaced? Not sure if that's a good guess or not but....it is a guess.

I mean you could ask your neighbor about that.

Good luck.

Last edited:
HI AND THANKS FOR THE REPLY . No comment of any kind taken as “yes /duh”new reliabuilt bypass blowers with NEW bypass valves .

It's been many, many years since I worked on the mechanically governed 2 strokes so my recollections might not be spot on. Just trying to help.

My old 92 book calls for tool J34080 to adjust the fuel modulator with a setting of 0.480".

And it does sort of sound as if the modulator is seeing too much boost initially and allowing the rack to move prematurely.

If you can't adjust that out then you may need to try a restriction in the signal hose. I don't know but it's something I would consider trying in this case.

I couldn't find a timing spec. for the 9225 injector but the 9215 is listed at 1.484" for the 6V turbo engines.

Good luck.

Back